Want to increase sales of your company? Online advertising will help!
There is everything on the Internet. This is the fastest-growing resource, the possibilities of which are almost unlimited. Advertisements on the Internet are viewed thousands of times more often than traditional ones. How does online advertising work and does it increase sales? Let’s figure it out!
Whose attention and location are we fighting for? Every day, fans who are surfing the Internet surf the virtual space. Here are their characteristics –
- the age of most users is from 25 to 45 years;
- their income is medium or high;
- the majority of “surfers” live in big cities;
- more than 77% of people access the Internet repeatedly during the day;
- the number of mobile Internet users is growing (audience 16-30 years old).
- every year the number of mobile Internet users increases
The Internet unites the active part of the population who buys goods, services or seeks information. A simple conclusion follows from this: a worldwide network is an excellent platform for attracting customers.
Online Advertising Tasks
- master a specific market segment and attract new users
- create a loyal customer base
- create a company image
- make contact with customers
Top 5 Benefits of Online Advertising
1. Online promotion is suitable for the development of large and small businesses.
2. Interaction with the audience (feedback) reduces the cost and simplifies marketing research (ie analysis of consumer behavior, opinions, and preferences). The user reports that he is attracted or not happy. The team will have time to fix the flaws before the power of word of mouth will entice customers in the opposite direction from you.
You can learn audience preferences using the statistics collection systems by using Google Analytics. According to the reports of these services, you can track which pages of the site are the most popular.
To set up the feedback you need:
- optimize the site;
- conduct online surveys.
3. Targeting a specific audience is an advertising mechanism (targeting) that hits the target: it selects interested users from the entire Internet audience and distributes advertising among them. We will talk more about this function in more detail.
4. Savings. Online advertising is much cheaper than offline.
5. Counter of visits and statistics. There are free web analytics programs: Google Analytics, InternetLiveStats, Matomo (formerly Piwik), FireStats, JawStats, etc. With their help, you can track the level of attendance and conversion. This is necessary in order to evaluate the effectiveness of the digital agency that promotes your site and improve key performance indicators (Key Performance Indicators, KPI).
The effectiveness of an advertising campaign is determined by many indicators. Here are just a few of them:
- traffic volume – the number of website visitors;
- Conversion (conversation rate, CR) – the ratio of the number of those who performed the target action on the site (bought, placed an order, requesting a cost estimate, signed up for the newsletter, etc.) to the total number of visitors. The most important metric for a commercial ad campaign;
- viewing depth – the average number of page views by users per visit. It is calculated for a certain period of time.
- bounce rate – the number of users who left the first page;
- time spent on the site;
- click-through rate (CTR) – the ratio of all those who viewed the advertisement to those who clicked on it and went to the site;
- The average cost per click (CPC)
- customer’s life cycle (lifetime value, LTV) – the amount of money that you plan to earn for goods and services from the client during the time you work with him.
Disadvantages of online advertising
- People are tired of spam and viral advertising, so they unknowingly project a negative attitude on completely harmless publications;
- Cybercrime, for example, phishing (theft of confidential data via mass mailing on behalf of a well-known brand).
Types of online advertising
Online advertising is more diverse than offline. This is due to the wide selection of promotion channels and the opportunities that IT technologies provide.
- Contextual advertising matches user interests. It is highlighted in the information search process when a potential customer has shown interest and is probably ready to buy. Types of contextual advertising: search and thematic.
- Search ads appear on the search results page. For its placement, the advertiser pays the content network.
- Thematic advertising is placed on the site and corresponds to its focus. In this case, you will pay for the clicks on the ad network and the site owner (50/50).
In order to set up contextual advertising, marketers use Google AdWords. Using these systems, you can track the effectiveness of each campaign, select the optimal cost per click (CPC – Cost per Click) and control the clicks on ads.
Targeted advertising applies to a specific audience identified by any criteria. In social networks such as Facebook, there is a huge selection of these criteria: gender, age, interests, place of study or work. For example, for a novice entrepreneur, social networks will offer companies to promote the business.
But on Instagram or Facebook, the main emphasis should be on the visual component, not the textual one. Use colourful advertisements for online clothing stores, handicrafts, beauty salons, and food delivery services.
In addition, to promote your business in this social network, you can periodically organize contests in conjunction with some other developing accounts. People love gifts and practical jokes! Such promotions will increase the activity and interest of existing customers and attract new ones.
There are many types of targeting, for example:
- thematic targeting – advertising on sites with relevant topics;
- geo-targeting is based on the issuance of advertising information depending on the user’s location, which is determined by IP;
- socio-demographic targeting finds the target audience by age, gender, income level, etc .;
- behavioural targeting is the most spyware tool in the advertiser’s arsenal: analyzing cookies (they contain data about which sites the user visited), he will find out what he is interested in and what the potential client needs;
- Geo-behavioural targeting is based on the fact that having received data on the movements of the “surveillance object,” one can quite accurately determine the circle of his interests.
- Display (display) advertising provides a spectacular demonstration. It includes visual, sound, interactive elements.
The main type of display advertising on the Internet is banners. Usually, they are placed on the side of sites or under the search bar in search engines. Banner advertising is many times more expensive than contextual and targeted. In addition, with the frequent flickering of your ad, the user ceases to pay attention to it (the so-called “banner blindness” is developed).
Teaser advertising is very similar to the headline of a yellow newspaper or a teaser trailer for a movie. The enticing picture and the provocative signature do not say directly what exactly they offer: follow the link, and you will see everything yourself!
Internet marketing and website promotion
Believe me, one advertisement on the Internet is unlikely to be enough for your proposal to “shoot.” Internet marketing offers two services that combine external work on an advertising campaign and internal work on the site itself.
- SMM (Social Media Marketing) – promotion through social networks by creating communities, accounts, blogs on behalf of the company. SMM also includes the organization of advertising cooperation with thematic publics, bloggers, and owners of popular accounts.
- SEO (search engine optimization), i.e. Search engine optimization is a set of measures aimed at raising the site’s position in the search engine results. Objectives: increase website traffic and the number of customers, monetize the site (profit). Before you start working with online advertising, you need to optimize the site and increase its rating.
How do search engines determine the site’s position in the search results?
They rely on:
- behavioural factors (viewing depth, click map, time spent on the site);
- site usability;
- keyword density (how many times a keyword occurs in a certain amount of text);
- the density of stop words (punctuation marks; numbers; conjunctions, prepositions)
- citation index;
- placement of prohibited materials (for example, pirated content);
- traffic volume;
- conversion rate.
How to promote a site?
Key elements of internal search engine optimization:
- quality content;
- high speed of work;
- mobile version;
- prompt response to a user request (online consultant).
But is that enough? Unfortunately not. You can create an excellent site, but as long as you do not know about it, it costs nothing. Here external optimization comes to the rescue, and work begins outside the site. It aims to build link mass.
External optimization methods:
- registration in catalogues;
- work with a link exchange;
- online and offline advertising;
- crowd marketing (guerrilla marketing), when a company representative takes part in a forum or other user discussion on the choice of goods/services.
Online promotion does not boil down to maintaining public accounts and social media accounts. This is a complex and multifaceted process where it is necessary to:
- develop a strategy;
- create an advertising budget;
- choose a target audience;
- find a distribution channel;
- choose the type/types of advertising;
- outline a favourable payment method;
- analyze KPI.
The Internet is a huge field for the sale of your product or service. Advertising on the network in many cases works better than other channels because it can be pre-configured for the right users.
However, do not place too high hopes on just one advertising campaign. If you have an inconvenient site or poor service – not one, even the most attractive, the ad will not save the situation and attract customers.
Achieve the main goal – increasing sales or conversion – will help complex marketing tools. Each of them performs its specific function in a complex mechanism. Specialist agencies can help you win the favour of consumers and become the best in your field.