Each business niche has its own characteristics. The SEO strategy that worked for one site may not be successful for another
In this article, I will give several ways to optimize SEO, which allowed me to increase the amount of traffic received by my client’s site several times. Remember, this is only an isolated case. This article describes several methods that can be applied to almost any promotional campaign.
The Starting Point
Initially, my client’s site was visited by about 20 thousand people a month who came from search engines.
To get such an indicator of attendance, the client promoted his site on competitive keywords with a monthly search volume of 1,000 to 5,000 queries.
But there was potential for increasing the audience. They wrote quality content. But there was a problem: the lack of SEO optimization and quality links.
4 SEO techniques that allowed traffic to take off –
1. An in-depth audit of content
First, I identified the articles that generated the most traffic (using Google Analytics and the Google Search Console). At that time, hundreds of posts were published on the site’s blog. But only ten of them attracted traffic.
Therefore, I removed 90% of the content from the blog.
I put each post in one of two “buckets”:
1. Modification, optimization and republishing: this bucket was intended for content that had unused potential. They fell into this bucket if:
- It had excellent potential for keywords that it didn’t rank for.
- Offered unique, which had the potential to expand.
Only five previously published posts fell into this category. I asked the author to expand each of these posts with sections using long-tail keywords. After which he updated the date of publication in WordPress and promoted them as new publications (but retained the same URLs).
2. Unpublished drafts and redirects: this bucket was intended for content that did not have much SEO potential. After deleting such posts, I installed 301 redirects. These articles were saved as unpublished drafts in WordPress to use this content for future posts.
By the end of the audit, the blog had 30 posts (including the ones we updated). But over the next few months, they generated a lot more traffic than before.
2. Continuous distribution of links
To get new links, in the email newsletter I started offering free access to courses and partner sites on behalf of my client. Over time, I realized that if you have great content, contact someone who has similar content and offer something exclusive.
3. Creation of new SEO-oriented content on an ongoing basis
In parallel, I worked with the author to create new SEO-oriented content based on the best keywords in the niche. Before writing a new article, I did in-depth keyword research. Then I sorted the list and selected keywords with low competition. In this case, targeting was applied to a group of related keywords, and not to one of them.
Thanks to the update of the Hummingbird search algorithm in 2013, now in Google one piece of content can be ranked by thousands of keywords. Thus, we have created 25 articles in two years. A few months after their publication, they began to get into the TOP issuance for hundreds of requests.
Today 72 published blog posts attract more than 140 thousand visitors from search engines every month.
The important thing is not the number of publications, but how valuable and optimized the content is.
4. Implementing an internal linking strategy
When I started working with a client, most of the pages on his site had several internal links without a clear placement strategy. After conducting a content audit, I increased the number of internal links and optimized the anchor text of the old ones.
In total, ten internal links were added to each post. In this case, the anchor text was used, which included:
- Target keyword from other posts.
- Target keyword variant.
- A secondary keyword with a long tail.
To speed up the process of optimizing your internal link mass:
1. Sort the posts by publication date and saturate them one by one with internal links. To do this, you will need a table with links to all posts published on the blog.
2. Use the internal WordPress search engine to search for specific phrases. You can search for targeted keywords to find publications that already use these phrases.
Then you need to view the publications found and add internal links to the post.
Traffic increases with a correct SEO strategy. Not just SEO tactics!!
Initially, I used strategies that did not bring results:
- Distribution of template letters.
- Creating content that was not unique or compelling
- Analysis of keywords after receiving an article from the author, and not before writing it.
So the problem was that I used the right SEO tactics wrongly. I was not focused on helping the author create valuable content that would set it apart from many other authors. And also do not contact people who have already referred to similar resources or wrote quality materials on this topic.
Correction of these shortcomings helped me make a breakthrough in my SEO professional activity not only with one specific author but with all other clients.