Have you repeatedly felt that your SMM promotion plan is living its own life? Do you think that your chances of succeeding in social media are becoming more and more void every day? No panic! It is enough to do only a couple of simple actions, to answer a few simple issues and you will understand what is really happening with your SMM, where everything is moving, and how to fix it.
Step number 1. What do we have
First of all, we should evaluate what we have:
- What content do we already have? Sort it into three groups: obsolete materials, relevant and those that need to be updated.
- In which social networks do you have active profiles? Who controls them? Where are passwords stored? Document all this information.
- What community development work has been done to date? What conclusions are made? What information can be used in the future?
- Rate your SMM team: what are its strengths and weaknesses?
- Do you have a clearly chosen social media course? When was it last reviewed? How relevant is it now?
Step number 2. What was done
Now we need to honestly and objectively evaluate what we have achieved to date:
- How integrated are social networks with your business? Does social media presence fit your business goals? Or is this just another addition?
- Were there any attempts to increase ROI? What are the results?
- Do you have a social media plan? Are the goals and objectives set? How are they implemented? What gaps exist?
- Why were some goals and objectives fulfilled, while others not?
- Of all that has been done, that has been especially successful, and which is not very? What needs to be repeated? What to forget about?
- Why were some tasks not achieved? Lack of knowledge on how to integrate social media and your business? Technical skills? Lack of content? Misunderstanding of the market and audience? Resources? Budgets? A wrong vision of the situation, and as a result, focus on the wrong elements?
Step number 3. What pulls us back?
Let us dwell on our weak points. Here you also need to be extremely honest and frank with yourself. Choose from the list below what prevents you from achieving your goals:
- Inconsistent marketing
- Tools and technology
Step number 4. Where we are going?
Presence in social networks must meet certain goals. If you don’t know where you are going, how do you intend to get somewhere?
- What are your goals? “What would you do when you grow up?” When will the market grow and your niche?
- What would you like to achieve?
- How do you think your business will change in 12 months? In a year or two? How will social media affect this?
- How will social networks help you achieve your goals and accomplish tasks?
Step number 5. Why?
Let’s talk again about our goals, objectives, and positioning:
- Why do you want to occupy this niche?
- Why does your audience, market need your presence in social networks?
- Why should they retweet, like on Facebook and share everything that you say and do?
Step number 6. What do we have to overcome?
Ignorance of risks and poor preparation for difficulties can lead to incorrect decisions, unreasonable investments, and failure of the whole company. Therefore, think in advance what difficulties you have to overcome, and how you intend to deal with them.
- Lack of time
- Poor execution due to lack of knowledge
- Lack of social media policy
- A changing ecosystem
- Threats and pressure from competitors.
Step number 7. How are we going to get there?
Consider how you intend to translate your goals, what approach you will take for this.
Your action plan and SMM strategy should not be a mindless mix of what you find in Google search results. You should compile it based on an understanding of your market, audience, and industry as a whole. It should clearly indicate the goals and objectives that you set for yourself, their relationship with your audience, as well as their value.
Step number 8. What’s next?
- How do you know that you have reached the goal?
- By what criteria will you evaluate your success?
- What will you do with the countless army of fans on social networks? How will you maintain their interest and attract attention?
- How will you continue to integrate social networks into your business?
- How will you track success, collect and measure data, come up with what needs to be improved?
Step number 9. How will we stand out and compete?
How do you plan to maintain yourself in a constant “tone”? Think out the tactics and strategies that you and your team will need. For instance:
- Continuous training and education
- Corporate or personal brand development or renewal
- Content marketing strategy
- Adjustment of goals and objectives
- New website or blog
- Rebuilding a site or blog
- Consultations on SMM, an audit from an external company
- Integration with offline events