Email marketing can be a business's best friend. It can help you keep in touch with customers, offer them special deals and update them about new products.
Knowing how to launch an effective email marketing campaign is crucial to its success
Here we will understand the benefits of email marketing for online stores and other types of businesses, how to effectively use and build communication with customers and how to sell through the newsletter.
Below are the points we will be discussing in this post –
- How viable is a business email
- What does a newsletter consist of that works
- Email Marketing and Mailing Strategies
- General guidelines for all types of businesses
- How to avoid spam
- How to measure the effectiveness
- Importance of implementing mailing lists
How viable is a business email
Newsletter remains one of the main sources of sales and increases loyalty to a brand or company. According to the report of 2018 from Campaign Monitor, it is e-mail as a channel of communication with customers that shows the highest return on investment (ROI). All you need to do is set up the newsletter correctly.
What does a newsletter consist of that works
The newsletter, it turns out that it consists of 11 basic elements: What should all of these components be?
- The name of the sender – name, and surname of the person responsible for the newsletter
- The subject of the letter – it’s like the title of the text. The reader must understand what the newsletter is about. The subject, like the title, should be clear, concise and revealing.
- A preheader – is a line that a user sees without opening a letter.
- Header – It can be found not in all mailings, but it is desirable to fill it out. The fact is that in the mail clients may not open correctly or not open at all. In order for the user to read the letter in spite of this, the header must have a web version.
- The design of the letter should be a logical extension of the design of your website. Use the colours, modular elements, and fonts that you use on the site in the newsletter. Place the main navigation points of the site in a prominent place and do not forget the logo.
- The text should contain what you are trying to tell your clients. Therefore, build the text around the reader and his interests, and lastly lead them to your proposal. Do not forget to check the letter for errors and typos.
- Visual content should be there for a reason. The human brain processes images faster than text, and this should be applied to newsletters as well. You can use ordinary pictures, and infographics, and videos, and gifs. But it’s important to keep a balance: the text should be noticeably larger so that the letter does not get into spam.
- A definite call-to-action: It is a component of almost all newsletters: almost every letter should encourage the reader to do something. The wordings of the call to action should also be brief and succinct: buy a product, order a service, sign up and so on.
- Social sharing buttons – are useful to both senders and recipients: the first is to receive subscribers, the second is the ability to connect to the community in the preferred social network. Show the social interest and activity of your community: tell them about bonuses for subscribers, about draws.
- Unsubscribe button or link – In many countries it’s simply not legal to put such a button in a letter. The reader should be able to stop receiving letters from you. If he does not have such an opportunity, he will send your letters to spam. This is worse than losing a subscriber because it affects your reputation as a sender.
Email Marketing and Mailing Strategies
Email newsletters for online stores will be allocated in a separate section in this tutorial. Here we will discuss briefly on the main strategies of email newsletters:
- Working with abandoned baskets: Any online store is faced with a huge number of visitors who have added things to the cart but did not place an order. According to the Baymard study, the percentage of such visitors is very high. Such visitors to the site must be “caught up”. An online store needs to consider a system for triggering sessions without an order. Remember that a person makes a decision in the first 3 hours after visiting the site. Therefore, send a letter in the first hour, so that his attention still remains on the purchase.
- Cross-sell and Up-sell: Cross-selling, or cross-selling, with a giant like Amazon, makes up more than 35% of all sales. Experts believe that the conversion from blocks of recommendations and similar products on the site reaches 60%. And if you connect email marketing, the conversions will be even higher.
- Optimize the time for sending emails: Studies show that: eCommerce emails are best sent around noon and the highest percentage of opening and clicks on emails are sent on Tuesday and Wednesday. It is separately noted that online stores when mailing should take into account the income of the buyer. Do not forget about time zones, which is especially important, and test your own hypotheses.
- Perform A / B testing: It’s not enough just to start automatic mailing. It is necessary to constantly experiment and verify the effectiveness of each element. What works in one online store may not work in another.
Each business has its own ways to create an effective email newsletter, but we have put together the most versatile tips. Recommendations are arranged in chronological order: from subscription to unsubscribe.
- Make sure your subscription form is visible. Some sites hide it in the news section or any other, and the site visitor may not get there. Therefore, the forms and buttons of the subscription should be made noticeable. You can collect contacts through pop-ups, but be careful: many negatively relate to pop-ups.
- Sell every newsletter. Even if the newsletter on your site is free and very useful, don’t think that the user will immediately subscribe to it. The average Internet user receives dozens of letters per day, so he still needs to be convinced that he needs your mailing list. On the subscription page, tell them about the benefits and what the subscriber will receive.
- Only send to those who have given permission for this. Often, sending email offers is associated with spam. Try not to identify yourself with spam. There is a fine line here: spam is to send letters to an open or purchased database without the consent of the recipient. You have to use your own database.
- Personalize the appeal. Each of your customers is waiting for an individual approach. Start the letter by contacting the customer by name.
- Make the subject line readable and clickable. Use the subject line to the maximum. If the letter refers to the regular newsletter, then you can talk about the news. If this is a sales letter for advertising, then be sure to write about the benefits. Tell them how they opted for subscription and what actions they performed on your website. Make sure that the subject of the letter matches the content, and do not forget to change them so that the newsletter does not look monotonous.
- Make useful and interesting content. The key to email marketing is building long-term and friendly relations. Tell them how your product or services will help them solve their pain points. But do not overload it with the sale of your services: there is a place for entertainment and humour.
- Segment your target audience. To achieve maximum response from readers, it is necessary to send different letters to different audiences. You can segment your audience by gender, age, geographic location, and even income level. You can correctly segment your audience. But for this, you need to motivate her. For example, you can send a questionnaire, after which a subscriber can be sent a gift.
- Do not send it too often. Email is not a messenger. No need to bombard the client daily. It is better to collect information for a week and send it once.
- Gather feedback. You can ask readers for feedback and improve the newsletter. Just ask if they like everything and what else they would like to receive. This way you will increase customer confidence. In addition, you can get insights into the development of the business as a whole.
- Remind them. If a person has not visited your site for a long time, then it's time to remind him of himself. And with the help of feedback, you can find out why the user visits your site less often.
How to avoid spam
- Track statistics using mailing services and analyze the reasons why your emails get into spam.
- Correct all errors that come from email services, double-check the lists of unsubscribers.
- Divide the newsletters into categories: a number of your users are interested in very specific information.
- Forming the base, check the addresses for typos. If letters are sent to non-existent accounts, the sender will be considered a spammer.
- Check how your letters look after sending. There are special test services available for this.
To understand the result of email marketing, you need to look at and analyze the statistics available in the mail service. Please note the following email performance metrics:
- Open Rate, or percentage of open emails. Of course, the higher it is, the better for you: it means that more people have familiarized themselves with your proposal. But eCommerce has very high competition for user time and attention. And in many ways, this indicator is associated with the loyalty of the recipient of the letter to the brand. For Open Rate to grow, letters and topics should be exactly what people expect from you.
- Click-to-Open Rate (CTOR), or the percentage of clicks from open emails. The higher this parameter, the more people who read the letter go to the landing page and buy / order goods or services. Therefore, for CTOR to grow, everything should be fine – from the quality of the content to the relevance of the landing page.
- ROI, or return on investment. The characteristic is mentioned at the very beginning of the article and reflecting the ratio of profit from email newsletters to the cost of them. ROI grows when A / B testing and proper audience segmentation are conducted.
- Email conversion is the percentage of subscribers who have completed the targeted action. This indicator is constantly growing if you understand what content is most effective for your readers.
- Unsubscribe Rate, or percentage of unsubscribed. Guessing user preferences can be difficult. Try not to send emails too often and create only interesting and relevant content.
- Spam Complain Rate (SCR), or percentage of people marking the email as spam. One part of these readers could not find the “Unsubscribe” button, the other was unsatisfied with the quality of the content. If this indicator is above 0.1, review the content policy and design of letters.
If there is a channel that can increase sales, then do not abandon it. The main thing, before you write a sales newsletter, is to find your audience and understand its interests. So emailing customers will really please them.
Audience segmentation, personalized emails, and other tools increase revenue and other indicators of the effectiveness of email newsletters by tens, and sometimes hundreds of times.
Why is it so important to use the right email marketing software?
Compared to social, direct marketing and other channels, email has the highest conversion rate. The effectiveness of this channel is very largely due to the use of marketing technology. 82% of companies are now using email marketing software. And 75% or more are expected to buy a marketing automation solution within a year.
The question is how much do companies need to pay if they want to include a provider of technology services to their corporate and marketing strategy?
Fundamental considerations like price, deliverability of emails, usability, scalability and customer service will continue to influence the decision-making process. But in what important ways, the solutions for e-mail marketing differ?
As with any relationship, companies must consider what long-term effects will the software. You need the customer requirements of today to understand – and anticipate tomorrow. You need to recognize problems – and opportunities. You need to distinguish between useful and useless data. And they have to find a provider who can help you with all these points. The right technology makes it easy.
Here I highlight the main features that you should have in your email marketing software:
Integration– Deliver integrated customer experiences, based on the buying behaviour of your target groups. To respond to all relevant channels in a timely manner to meet the needs of your customers.
Automation– The right email marketing software delivers new revenue opportunities. 75% of e-mail sales generated by campaigns in which the email is triggered by a specific event ( “triggered campaigns”). Therefore, automation is a top priority for e-mail marketers. 91% of all successful online marketers say that automation is a key success factor for their marketing across all channels.
The use of automation allows marketers to perform an unlimited amount of customer dialogues by individual events – such as trigger for customer loyalty campaigns, registration, purchasing, shipping. Automated programs provide relevant communications at the right time and thus open the door for even closer relations of the company to its customers.
Personalization– Collect relevant data, derive valuable information from it and communicate it on the basis of these findings, individually – which forms the basis for targeted, personalized dialogues on all channels. If you want to use personalization for your marketing, you should ensure that your technology can process with the speed that is necessary for true personalization.
Segmentation– It has long been proven that small, segmented mailings are more effective than large, non-segmented. An analysis of data on the behaviour, demographic and geographic criteria, on each sales stage, the purchase history and the habits and preferences of customers, provides insights that can increase the success of email campaigns considerably.
30% of the e-mail turnover is generated by selectively targeting specific audience segments. Segmented behavioural data provide valuable information from which future buying habits and decision patterns can be derived. Segmentation is a very useful component of good email marketing software.
Cross-Channel– Another factor for successful marketing is to overcome internal silos. Use the findings from all marketing channels to provide customers with a consistent, seamless brand experience – and thus increase customer loyalty and improve your return on investment.
For successful cross-channel campaigns, e-mail marketing software should support various online marketing channels such as social media, mobile, and web. So you can perform segmented, automated campaigns that allow you to use the full force of all your online channels.
Analytics– Most providers of e-mail marketing deliver standard metrics like conversion, quantitative and qualitative ROI, performance and test results. By contrast, use modern applications algorithms for data analysis, which assist the user in choosing the right content.
Good Analytics summarize the relevant data from different channels to provide an accurate picture of the consumer, which can be used proactively of marketers.
Each e-mail marketer has their own requirements and objectives. The functions described herein are generally applicable to e-mail marketing today. Of course, every company must ask itself whether a particular technology for online marketing meets its specific requirements – the current as well as future.
Where will your company be in five years, and where your competitors will be then? The solutions are to increase sales and profits and improve ROI, but marketers need to think further and use solutions that can predict the habits of online shoppers, which are constantly changing.