Have you started seeing occasional suggested posts on your Facebook timeline lately? Have you ever received offers and coupons on your SMS from businesses with whom you have shred your mobile number?
Are you busy filtering out promotional messages in your email inbox? If your answer is yes to any of the questions above, you have already become part of digital marketing value chain.
Marketing as it has been, when uses a digital medium, it can then be treated as digital marketing. These media include social, mobile, web, content, email etc.
Digital marketing is not a new discipline but it is fast emerging as a complementing arm of traditional marketing. When there was only print media few decades ago, electronic media revolutionized marketing with its reach. However, digital marketing is much more powerful in multitudes with its features and advantages. Main power or appeal of digital marketing comes from the measurability aspect of digital marketing.
In digital marketing, a marketer can set the spend, precisely target the audience he or she wants to reach and also measure how many have been reached. This is possible with the tech platform that enables digital marketing. When an email is sent, a marketing agency can now measure if the email was opened, if links were clicked or if email was reported as spam instead. Based on the number of subscribers to whom a certain email was sent, then now know exactly how many became leads and how many can be targeted to be converted to prospective clients.
Social media like Facebook, google and YouTube go several steps further and give the marketing agencies choices and flexibility on the spend, targeting timeline. YouTube goes one step further and claims that a marketer need not pay unless the ad was completely watched by the users. This is very powerful for the marketers as they never had such control and transparency on their spends. And that is achieved by the measurability aspect of digital marketing.
Taking a step back, one needs to conceptually understand the advent of digital marketing and why it is an unavoidable component of today’s marketing strategy. With 462 million internet users, India stands second in the world in terms of number of users who use internet. And from a behavior standpoint, people are spending more time on the web and less on the print media. They are consuming more video content from YouTube than from television.
They are reading more blogs than they read print magazines. They are listening to more podcasts than radio. All these usage behavioral changes meant one thing for the new age marketers that these media need to be explored and exploited to reach their target segments.
Today’s digital marketing starts with search engines. Search engine optimization and search engine marketing are two most common methods of search engine digital marketing. Irrespective of where the brand was mentioned or communicated, every customer reaches a business’s website by sheer recall of the website or by simply typing the business name in a search engine like google or Bing.
More often, a customer may not even know the business name. They simply type what service or product they are looking for. And when they do that, as a business, if you are offering that product or service, you would want to be the top result in their pursuit. This can be achieved through search engine optimization and search engine marketing. Optimization is when your website’s quality and relevance are organically developed and improved to reach the top page of search engine results.
Along with the natural search results, there are sponsored ads on the top and side of a search engine results page. These are result of search engine marketing, where businesses bid and pay for premium spots on a results page to show up on the top page. While search engine marketing is very open ended, Social media marketing provides for a more targeted approach where a business can target audience of specific age range, located in a specific part of the world, working or studying at a specific company or college etc.
Similarly, YouTube marketing allows for targeting people with specific interests based on the audience’s interests and preferences.
Digital display advertising is also a very popular mode of digital marketing but challenged. All the banner ads that we see when we browse news and other free content websites fall under this category. These are challenging because no one wants to see a cluttered web page with ads when they visit a webpage with a certain purpose. So they suppress the ads using ad blocking browser extensions which kill this medium.
Content marketing is the new age digital marketing and the current rage as it nicely brings together all modes of digital marketing and enables complementing of each other in a very sophisticated fashion. Content marketing is creating and sharing content through digital mediums with an intent to promote brand directly or indirectly. For example, one creates an entertaining video with a brand placement and shares in YouTube and Facebook and people share it if they like it. If you notice, content marketing enables other people promoting your brand without your involvement. All in all, digital marketing is here to stay and will only dominate marketing plans with time.
Careers in digital marketing are growing by the day and should be considered seriously by every management and computer science graduates. Since digital marketing is all tech enabled end to end, this field employs graduates from both management and engineering disciplines.
For one to set a path into this career, best place to start is by creating your personal website, blog or service and trying to market it digitally. To learn how to use digital marketing techniques on your own content, start by signing up for free learning resources and then slowly graduate to a specialized stream within digital marketing through a specialized training program.
Once you have achieved certain proficiency and have some achievements to showcase, a career can be spun off through consulting, entrepreneurship or a full-time job.
Considering the tremendous reach of the Internet, it can be rightly said that a career in digital marketing is soon going to be the next big thing. Organizations are looking for dedicated professionals who believe in giving their best and giving new dimensions to marketing.
It is a creative and buzzing sector to work in. If creative ideas give you a kick, then digital marketing might be your cup of tea. If you are good with networking, then digital marketing would be a great career option for you.
The demand for skilled digital media professionals is on the rise, which means that it is a lucrative career option. Like any other field digital marketing is a big umbrella and it has various branches under it. It is recommended that you choose a specialization as per your liking and preference. Channelize your strengths in the right direction and you can make it big.
Visit our Courses page for more information.
Top 10 Digital Marketing Skills
Why Digital Marketing is the Future
Is digital marketing a good career
New technologies are creating constant disruption and change in the marketing industry – with no signs of slowing down.
To stay competitive, marketers and media and advertising professionals need to keep up with the changes by learning and mastering new skills constantly. So what skills are in demand? Here are the top 10 digital skills that are essential to achieving success in the future.
1. Web Analytics – In the era of big data, harnessing the power of information to enhance customer experiences and generate value is imperative.
One of the key digital skills required to achieve this is analytics – understanding data and knowing what to do with it. Understanding the basic principles and tools and being able to apply techniques will allow marketers to unlock the power of data and optimise digital activities. Without this skill, today’s marketing team will struggle to be effective.
2. Conversion Rate Optimisation (CRO) – Having the skills and know-how to optimise websites to turn hard-earned visitors into leads and sales is exceedingly important for businesses. To be effective in conversion rate optimization, you need to know how to set up, track and interpret site statistics and turn them into valuable, actionable insights to convert visitors into customers.
Knowing how to test, analyse customer paths and interactions and continually optimise copy to achieve online objectives is an invaluable skill-set for any marketer.
3. Content Management – Social media and search algorithms are increasingly focusing on providing valuable, quality content to audiences – which makes content the long-serving king of the digital world. Yet there is an incredible amount of meaningless and poor-quality content floating around, as businesses struggle to find qualified and skilled staff to create top-notch pieces.
Skills in this area are important, as it feeds directly into other areas of marketing, such as email, social and SEO.
So what makes a good content manager?
Solid understanding of digital marketing and strategy coupled with good copywriting skills!
Copywriting is a digital skill that is key to delivering quality content to consumers and it can be learned. Creating punchy headlines and learning the basics of style and structure as well as knowing how to write for different online channels will earn you big brownie points in any marketing department.
4. Omni-channel Campaign Planning – Delivering a clear and consistent message about a company, products and services across multiple communication channels is no easy feat! Managing customers from channel to channel to ensure they have a seamless experience requires careful planning and a deep understanding of not only channels, but also customers.
Seeking out digital partners, utilising digital channels successfully, understanding consumer awareness, acquisition, retention and being across budgeting, testing and measuring are all key components of effective digital campaigns.
Digital campaign planning is therefore a sought-after skill that today’s digital marketers must possess.
5. Customer Experience (CX) – Businesses are increasingly interested in hiring professionals with CX experience and skills, in order to keep up with increasing customer expectations. While developing and designing user experience (UX) has become a freestanding role on its own, marketers need to have a well-formed understanding of the customer experience across all the company owned channels and importantly the company’s website.
6. Social Media Marketing – The digital landscape today incorporates consumer use and habits in social media and so it is imperative that marketers understand how to maximize their brand and marketing efforts in the social channels that matter. More importantly, the skill in tracking, reporting and delivering ROI in social is critical for marketers today.
7. Marketing Automation – Marketing automation allows businesses to scale their marketing programs and achieve better ROI. The demand for professionals with technical skills to either aid marketing automation or to have intelligent, knowledgeable conversations with IT departments in outlining marketing requirements for automation, is critical.
8. Mobile Marketing – Mobile marketing is a complex subject. It incorporates not only a single device in a multiscreen world, but also multiple channels and platforms, coupled with targeting, user habits, tactics, new technologies, apps and more. Understanding how to acquire the mobile audience, but also creating a great experience for them as they go through that mobile journey are the critical success factors.
Mobile is also very personal, and marketers have a unique opportunity for customization and personalisation through this device.
It is clear why mobile marketing is a highly sought after skill-set in the digital era.
9. Privacy & Compliance – Big data, multi-platform marketing and new technologies disrupting the industry are also creating a sense of uncertainty around privacy and compliance.
Businesses require digital professionals to be across regulatory obligations in order to develop and maintain a solid reputation.
There is a myriad of issues relating to privacy and compliance: misleading advertising, consumer rights, the Spam Act and Privacy Act, collection, management and use of data. Understanding these and the implications of not keeping to these regulations is a vital part of digital marketing.
10. SEO and PPC – Contrary to past predictions about Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), the practice is still very much alive and kicking. In fact it is growing and evolving rapidly and skills in the practice have never been more important.
Skills in two key components of SEO are especially important to businesses:
1. A deep understanding of inbound marketing and knowing the importance of providing value to customers through content.
2. Technical skills in delivering customer value through SEO: keywords development, tracking, measurement, optimization and linking.
Pay Per Click (PPC) marketing can transform businesses at a relatively low spend. Because it is a cost-effective marketing tactic, PPC skills are highly valued. An understanding of search engine marketing (SEM) strategy and how it integrates with online and offline channels is a key component of PPC.
If you know how to drive targeted traffic to a website at the lowest possible cost, you’re a PPC gun that businesses will be fighting tooth and nail for!
Digital Marketing Course in Chennai
Job description of a Digital Marketer
Is digital marketing a good career
Online marketing is critical to be successful on the web. Internet marketing for online business gives you the ability to secure more leads therefore increasing your probability of success.
If your digital advertising strategies do not include mobiles, you’re passing up a really large customer base. In regards to your promotion strategy for your company, it is necessary to keep in mind that both conventional advertising and inbound advertising are essential and your advertising strategy is going to be the most successful if you’re able to use both advertising approaches together. If you lack a suitable social networking strategy for your company then you’re passing up an incredible bounty of promotion and engagement opportunities.
Digital Marketing Career Prospects
Real business demands real paperwork, and contracts are a part of that procedure. Therefore, if you’re thinking of giving your organisation an outside chance, we’d advise you to get in contact with internet advertising and marketing professionals to assist and grow your company rapidly. Significant business might have the advantage in some arenas in the offline space, like elaborate storefronts, significant budget advertising initiatives to pull customers etc.. In addition, in critical conditions, businesses can fulfil their manpower requirements through internet recruitment portals. If you want to find a business that provides marketing services online, it is essential to select the one that has years of experience in the business. Because of the large prospects of succeeding in the marketing field, many businesses and agencies are established on account of the very fact of the great success of digital marketing.
Fact about Digital Marketing Career Prospects Uncovered
As stated by the experts of the business, digital marketing is undoubtedly the least expensive approach to brand or advertise a business enterprise. It is a modern way of marketing of products and services by using high technologies mainly over the internet. It is the latest marketing practice creating a buzz in the industry. It is all about creating a hype about your product or service. It does not require one to have any technical knowledge but to resist the growing competition one must know the fine details. It is one of the most effective ways of marketing of products and services over the World Wide Web by using digital technologies. It is important for every online business.
Getting the best digital marketing course
How To Kick-start Your Career In Digital Marketing
How can I build my career in digital marketing