New technologies are creating constant disruption and change in the digital marketing industry – with no signs of slowing down. To stay competitive, marketers and media and advertising professionals need to keep up with the changes by learning and mastering new skills constantly. So what skills are in demand?
Here are the top 10 digital marketing skills that are essential to achieving success in the future.
1. Web Analytics – In the era of big data, harnessing the power of information to enhance customer experiences and generate value is imperative.
One of the key digital skills required to achieve this is analytics – understanding data and knowing what to do with it. Understanding the basic principles and tools and being able to apply techniques will allow marketers to unlock the power of data and optimize digital activities. Without this skill, today’s marketing team will struggle to be effective.
2. Conversion Rate Optimisation (CRO) – Having the skills and know-how to optimize websites to turn hard-earned visitors into leads and sales is exceedingly important for businesses. To be effective in conversion rate optimization, you need to know how to set up, track and interpret site statistics and turn them into valuable, actionable insights to convert visitors into customers.
Knowing how to test, analyze customer paths and interactions and continually optimize copy to achieve online objectives is an invaluable skill-set for any marketer.
3. Content Management – Social media and search algorithms are increasingly focusing on providing valuable, quality content to audiences – which makes content the long-serving king of the digital world. Yet there is an incredible amount of meaningless and poor-quality content floating around, as businesses struggle to find a qualified and skilled staff to create top-notch pieces.
Skills in this area are important, as it feeds directly into other areas of marketing, such as email, social and SEO.
So what makes a good content manager?
Solid understanding of digital marketing and strategy coupled with good copywriting skills!
Copy writing is a digital skill that is key to delivering quality content to consumers and it can be learned. Creating punchy headlines and learning the basics of style and structure as well as knowing how to write for different online channels will earn you big brownie points in any marketing department.
4. Omni-channel Campaign Planning – Delivering a clear and consistent message about a company, products, and services across multiple communication channels are no easy feat! Managing customers from channel to channel to ensure they have a seamless experience requires careful planning and a deep understanding of not only channels but also customers.
Seeking out digital partners, utilizing digital channels successfully, understanding consumer awareness, acquisition, retention and being across budgeting, testing and measuring are all key components of effective digital campaigns.
Digital campaign planning is, therefore, a sought-after skill that today’s digital marketers must possess.
5. Customer Experience (CX) – Businesses are increasingly interested in hiring professionals with CX experience and skills, in order to keep up with increasing customer expectations. While developing and designing user experience (UX) has become a freestanding role on its own, marketers need to have a well-formed understanding of the customer experience across all the company owned channels and importantly the company’s website.
6. Social Media Marketing – The digital landscape today incorporates consumer use and habits in social media and so it is imperative that marketers understand how to maximize their brand and marketing efforts in the social channels that matter. More importantly, the skill in tracking, reporting and delivering ROI in social is critical for marketers today.
7. Marketing Automation – Marketing automation allows businesses to scale their marketing programs and achieve better ROI. The demand for professionals with technical skills to either aid marketing automation or to have intelligent, knowledgeable conversations with IT departments in outlining marketing requirements for automation, is critical.
8. Mobile Marketing – Mobile marketing is a complex subject. It incorporates not only a single device in a multiscreen world, but also multiple channels and platforms, coupled with targeting, user habits, tactics, new technologies, apps and more. Understanding how to acquire the mobile audience, but also creating a great experience for them as they go through that mobile journey are the critical success factors.
Mobile is also very personal, and marketers have a unique opportunity for customization and personalization through this device.
It is clear why mobile marketing is a highly sought after skill-set in the digital era.
9. Privacy & Compliance – Big data, multi-platform marketing and new technologies disrupting the industry are also creating a sense of uncertainty around privacy and compliance.
Businesses require digital professionals to be across regulatory obligations in order to develop and maintain a solid reputation.
There is a myriad of issues relating to privacy and compliance: misleading advertising, consumer rights, the Spam Act and Privacy Act, collection, management and use of data. Understanding these and the implications of not keeping to these regulations is a vital part of digital marketing.
10. SEO and PPC – Contrary to past predictions about Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), the practice is still very much alive and kicking. In fact, it is growing and evolving rapidly and skills in the practice have never been more important.
Skills in two key components of SEO are especially important to businesses:
1. A deep understanding of inbound marketing and knowing the importance of providing value to customers through content.
2. Technical skills in delivering customer value through SEO: keywords development, tracking, measurement, optimization, and backlinking.
11. Pay Per Click (PPC) marketing can transform businesses at a relatively low spend. Because it is a cost-effective marketing tactic, PPC skills are highly valued. An understanding of search engine marketing (SEM) strategy and how it integrates with online and offline channels is a key component of PPC.
If you know how to drive targeted traffic to a website at the lowest possible cost, you’re a PPC gun that businesses will be fighting tooth and nail for!
- Choosing an email marketing software
- Must have WordPress Plugins
- Essential Ingredients For Digital Marketing Success
- Digital marketing jobs in Chennai for freshers
- A job description of a digital marketer
- Link Building Strategies
- Online Digital Marketing Course in Erode
- Online Digital Marketing Course in Vellore
- Online Digital Marketing Course in Trichy